Everyone has a fear. If they say they’re not afraid of anything, they’re lying. Those people are afraid of…the truth. I’ll tell you some of my biggest fears.
Bridges. I. Hate. Bridges. As some of you might know, I walked across the Brooklyn Bridge when I went to New York, and I hated every moment of it. Another fear of mine are snakes. I’m not so much afraid of big snakes that are held captive, but I’m afraid of the tiny little snakes that slither extremely fast across the pavement when you least expect it! I have anxiety EVERY summer due to this. I think my number one biggest fear is dying alone. I don’t want to leave this planet knowing I couldn’t find someone (who isn’t my son) that could love me for me unconditionally and vice versa. Now I know there are some common fears that I don’t have and I want to talk about some of the most common fears out there.
1. Fear of flying – I don’t enjoy flying. I guess you can say I have a rational fear of it. It’s not so much the flying I have a problem with, it’s the chance of the plane propelling to the ground at 1 million miles an hour. I try to sleep on planes to avoid this thinking, but I hardly ever sleep on planes. I’ve heard that having alcohol in your system makes sleeping on planes a lot easier, and by
heard I mean I know.
2. Fear of public speaking – Although I suffer from anxiety, I don’t have a problem speaking to a bunch of people…especially if it’s a topic I’m very knowledgable about.
3. Fear of heights – Nope. Not at all. As a cheerleader and a flyer there’s no way I can be afraid of heights. I think, the higher the better!
4. Fear of the dark – The dark isn’t that scary. What IS scary is hearing strange noises and people talking while you’re alone in the dark. That’s scary!
5. Fear of intimacy – I’m assuming this means getting too close to people and letting them invade your personal life. Eh, I think this is just a guy thing. Get over it.
6. Fear of death, dying – People are afraid of this mainly due to the unknown. As a believer I know what lies for me at the end. So I’m not afraid of death, I’m afraid of HOW I’m going to die…credits to Investigation Discovery.
7. Fear of failure – EVERYONE fails at something in their life. The trick is to learn from it and not to make the same mistake again. “Failure should be our teacher, not our undertaker. Failure is delay, not defeat. It is a temporary detour, not a dead-end. Failure is something we can avoid only by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing.” – Denis Waitley
Check out this link for some powerful quotes on failure. It should change your perspective 🙂
8. Fear of rejection – I think this is along the lines of fear of failure. You’ll never know until you ask or try. I think it’s better to live your life thinking “oh well” than “what if”. WHAT IFS are the worst!
9. Fear of spiders – Spiders are the least scariest thing to me. Don’t get me wrong, they do catch me off guard every now and again, but once I see one, I think “oh, it’s just a spider” and then proceed to kill it.
10. Fear of committment – I actually know someone like this. Not a fear of a committed relationship, but fear of committment to any and everything else. I guess committment means “this is it, I’ve made my decision, and this is what I’ve chosen.” When you’re 100% sure about something, there shouldn’t be any fear involved. If you’re not 100% sure, find something or someone who won’t make you think of anything else.
As you can see, my top three biggest fears didn’t even crack the top 10 most common fears. Goes to show that I’m a one-of-a-kind.
What are some of YOUR biggest fears? E-mail me! email@example.com